According to the American Psychological Association, more women than men say that their stress has increased in the past year. With finances, health, and other issues that may be worrying or overwhelming you, there are some positive ways to manage the day-to-day stresses.
Try these simple steps to help reduce your stress.
1. Meditate or self-reflect. If you have five minutes or an hour, take the time every day to quiet your thoughts and tap into your spiritual self. Reading an affirmation, scripture, prayer, or writing down your thoughts in a journal is effective.
2. Exercise. Fit 30 minutes of a workout that you enjoy into your schedule. Not only are you burning calories, but you are also letting go of whatever is bothering you, ultimately leaving you feeling relaxed afterward.
3. Catch up with a friend. Call up your close friends to plan an evening of fun. Whether it is as simple as watching a movie, grabbing a coffee, or connecting via FaceTime, bonding with loved ones helps to reduce stress.
4. Leave work at work. Refrain from checking your work email at home on your phone, tablet, or computer. Get comfortable, have a glass of wine, watch your favorite show on Netflix, spend time with your spouse or children. Unwind and enjoy your space.
5. Smile. Yes, it is hard to smile sometimes when you are going through challenges. However, there are plenty of things to be thankful for in your life, let go, and smile.
6. Relax to music. Listen to your favorite songs while you are at work, at the gym, or at home.
7. Say No. Just say no to people and the things that do not make you happy.