Everyone knows packing a lunch helps save money and contributes to a healthier lifestyle. But with a busy schedule, brown bagging it is often easier said than done. Try these simple tricks to avoid burn out and stick to your lunch packing plan.
- Invest in reusable food storage containers and an insulated lunch bag. By spending a little bit now, you’ll save a lot in the long run since you won’t be dining out as much.
- Make your lunch the night before. It seems simple but taking a few minutes each evening to plan and prepare your lunch allows you to get more creative and frees up precious time during your morning rush.
- While cooking dinner, make enough for leftovers. Then, consider repurposing the extras for lunch the following day. For example, leftover chicken breast can be cut up and added to a fresh salad.
- After dinner, immediately portion out leftovers in single-serve containers that can be easily grabbed the next morning.
- Do some weekend prep work. Chop veggies, portion out fruit and snacks, and make time to do a little meal planning.
- Pack condiments separately. Nothing ruins lunch like a soggy sandwich or wilted salad.
- Keep a few shelf-stable snacks or commonly used ingredients at your desk. This will help fill in any gaps and make mealtime away from home a little more enjoyable.
- If you don’t have access to a fridge, a frozen bottle of water will keep everything chilled and doubles as your beverage.
- Do whatever it takes to remember your food in the morning. Leave yourself a note, set a reminder on your phone, or even put your keys in the fridge.