Old fashioned summers: the smell of fresh lemonade, drippy ice-creams, long days spent playing in the garden or at the park with the neighbor’s kids, chasing fireflies at night. Infuse some old-fashioned summer fun into your family’s holiday with this free bucket list of funtastic summer holiday ideas.
Summer bucket list ideas for outdoor activities
Enjoy the gorgeous weather, being barefoot and free with these fun summer bucket list ideas for the outdoors.
- Get outside and play some classic outdoor games like tag, hide-and-seek, hopscotch, or catch. These simple games don't require any fancy equipment and are fun for all ages.
- Pack up a basket with some sandwiches, fruit, and snacks, and head to your local park for a picnic. Bring a frisbee, a ball, or a book to read, and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
- Visit a nearby lake or pool and go for a swim. If you don't have access to a pool, set up a sprinkler in the backyard or fill up a kiddie pool.
- Explore nature and go on a hike. Look for a nearby trail and pack a lunch to enjoy along the way.
- Enjoy the breezy summer weather by flying a kite in an open field.
- On a clear night, head outside and marvel at the stars and constellations above.
- Explore nature and go fishing, or camping in a nearby state park.
Summer bucket list: Indoor activities
Sometimes you need to escape the heat with fun indoor summer holiday activities.
- Cool off with some homemade ice cream. You can make it by hand with a churn or use an electric ice cream maker.
- Spend a rainy day inside playing board games. Classics like Monopoly, Uno, Scrabble, and Chess are always fun.
- Beat the heat and learn something new at a local museum or art gallery.
- Escape the summer sun and stock up on reading material by paying a visit to your local library.
Summer holidays bucket list with friends
In the good old days, people had to think of ways to fill time without screens. This is a lost art, but here is a reminder of some of the fantastically fun things you can do with family and friends without too much technology.
- Build a campfire and roast marshmallows for s'mores. You can also tell ghost stories or sing songs around the fire.
- Set up a projector outside and watch a movie under the stars. Bring blankets and pillows to make it a cozy affair.
- Lemonade stands are a quintessential old-school summer holiday thing. Inspire your kids to set up a lemonade stand in your neighborhood and sell cups of refreshing lemonade. It's a great way for them to meet new friends and make a little extra pocket money!
- Host a backyard barbecue potluck style: Fire up the grill and invite friends and family over for a classic summer barbecue.
- Games like badminton, volleyball, frisbee, and croquet are great ways to have fun with friends outside.
- Show off your dance moves: Make up a new dance to one of your favorite songs.
Saving your way through the summer break
Just because kids are out of school, doesn’t mean it is time to blow your budget. Get nostalgic and plan a semi-screen-free, budget-friendly summer holiday with your family. There are many ways to enjoy quality time making memories together that don’t have to drain your budget. If you love saving, visit our coupon book finder is delivered where you live.